Toy Robot Terrorizes Denver


More from the world of homeland insecurity and combustible playthings-

A robot met its end near Coors Field tonight when the Denver Police Department Bomb Squad detonated the “suspicious object,” bringing to an end the hours-long standoff between police and the approximately eight-inch tall figurine.
Denver Police Spokesman Matt Murray said that a citizen called police at 3:27 p.m. to report the presence of the plastic white toy robot cemented to the base of a pillar supporting a footbridge near the intersection of 20th and Wazee streets. Police closed 20th Street between Blake Street and Chestnut Place, but did let a few people past the police tape to retreive cars parked in nearby lots. Nobody was allowed within about 100 yards of the robot.
“Are you serious?” asked Denver resident Justin Kent, 26, when police stopped him from proceeding down 20th Street. Kent said that he lived just past the closed area, but was told he would have to go around via Park Avenue.
“I can’t believe it. This is ridiculous,” said Kent.
Traffic piled up at adjacent intersections as rush hour commuters were forced to detour around the closure.
Some pedestrians, unable to reach their vehicles at a lot adjacent to the robot, decided to wait it out at a bar on 20th Street, asking uniformed officers to let them know when the road reopened.
A bomb squad robot was sent it to examine the troublesome robot before a bomb squad officer, dressed in heavy protective gear, took a turn.
Murray said that the bomb squad couldn’t be sure if the robot was safe or not, and so remotely detonated it at about 5:30 p.m. to “render it safe.” The robot exploded into several chunks.
“It was cemented in. That’s odd,” Murray said.
Murray said that suspicious objects do not automatically warrant a call to the bomb squad if patrol officers are able to determine that there is no threat. He said that the robot was strange enough to warrant precautionary measures. In the end, it proved harmless.
“A whole lot of nothing,” Murray said.
20th Street reopened after police finished cleaning up the remains of the robot. Murray said that police have no leads on who put the robot there, or why they did it.
Kyle Glazier: 303-954-1638 or

Read more: Toy robot detours traffic near Coors Field – The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post’s Terms of Use of its content:




Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s